Danhostel Odense Kragsbjerggaard
Danhostel Odense Kragsbjerggaard is currently undergoing a complete renovation. Kragsbjerggaard's history stretches back hundreds of years, so the ongoing renovation will be performed with respect to the building's history.
In 1629, a farm existed at the end of the current street, Kragsbjergvej; however, we consider the year 1747 as Kragsbjerggaard's actual birthday; the year when the owner constructed the main building, plus built a park and forest.
The wooden beam walled into the timber frame has the year 1747 etched into the wood. A closer look reveals the letters JCW which were the owner, Johan Christopher von Westen’s initials and KKH for his wife Karen Krag Holmsted, who named the manor.
The farm has experienced many negative changes. Then between 1830-1835, the main building was renovated. Three additional buildings were added in the 1950s when Odense Municipality took over ownership of Kragsbjerggaard.
Under the direction of well-known architect and royal building inspector, Knud Lehn Petersen, who assisted in the construction of the Fynske Landsby, the original style was restored. The timber beams were recycled, and new bricks and a tile roof were added. Odense Hostel officially opened on March 27, 1958, after two years of renovation.
A New Chapter Begins
On January 2, 2019, Danhostel Odense Kragsbjerggaard acquired new owners whose goals are to develop the hostel for the benefit of overnight guests, students and participants in parties and other events. This historic manor house will be equipped with modern facilities and will live up to current and future demands.
Kragsbjerggaard's Other Offers
Danhostel Odense Kragsbjerggaard will offer comfortable rooms for school camps and groups. There will also be rooms for meetings, courses and conferences
Danhostel Odense Kragsbjerggaard will be a welcome addition to the positive development in Odense. Follow our new initiatives and renovation online.
We look forward to sharing our newly renovated Danhostel with all our guests.